Saturday, June 10, 2023

Campsite Curiosity: Achaemenid Away Camp

Here is the 'Away Camp' for my 

Early Achaemenid Persian DBA I/60 army



It represents a Persian camp in the style of the one described at Plataea. 





The photo story below covers the steps I followed in making the camp. 


We start with the basics of the camp being put together. 



A couple of close-ups of the detachable guard element:





The basic ground colours have been blocked in. I thought I'd add a sort of ditch/gutter full of putrid green water in front of the wall for a bit of colour. 



The two guards and the donkey are from Irregular Miniatures. The guy leading the donkey is from Minifigs.

 



Here the I’ve dry brushed the ground of the camp and the detachable element: 





 Then I painted the shield wall a dark red and added a light brown diamond pattern reminiscent of the pattern I gave the sparabarra shields. 




To finish off the day's work, I gave the ground a wash of diluted (1:4) burnt sienna ink:




When the ink was dry, I glooped on a pretty thick layer of PVA glue on top of the slime ditch to make it a little more watery, and let it dry.





I’ve then basically followed my usual basing procedure:


Step 1. Glue down some patches of Woodland Scenics Earth-blend T50 





Step 2. Glue down an odd number of patches of Heki static grass 'Summer' blend. 





Step 3. Glue down patches of Woodland Scenics clump foliage. 




Step 4. To finish up, placed some pretty arid looking Warpainter tufts.





When everything was dry, I added one final step. I touched up the diamond pattern with some lighter coloured paint to make it pop a little more:



If you like these posts, why not  

"Like"

Wargrunt Art on Facebook for updates

Just click here

 

No comments:

Post a Comment