Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Komnenan Byzantine Army (DBA IV/1ab)

The entire Komnenan army.

My DBA Komnenan Byzantine army is a reboot of my Komnenan army. 


Manuel I Komnenos.
In DBM, the Komnenans enticed me with promises of flexible regular commands, light horse in good numbers to confound the enemy and allow me to manoueuve everything into place ready to crush the enemy.


Skythikon Light horse.

More Skythikon.

The Vardariot light horse.

Peltastae Lighthorse.
Then there were the fast moving mounted blades in the form of the Varangian Guard. 

Kontarion spearmen and the Varangians

This was combined with some righteous punch via the combination of hot-headed Western Latinikon knights tempered by the more controlled charging of the home-grown Byzantine Kataphratoi fast knights.


 
The early Latinkon on the left with the later caparisoned knights on the right.
The kataphractoi.
As it turned out, the Komnenans under my generalship were only moderately successful. I never quite got the whole combination working together. Now, with DBM being a distant memory for me, the Komnenans have become the base for both Komnenan army as well as a bunch of others such as the Pechenegs. 

Archers (3Bw).


Archers (4Bw).


Archers (Psiloi).

Nonetheless, I have quite a soft spot for the the Komnenans. I like to have a historical background for my armies and I plumped for the army of Manuel I Komnenos (1143-1180). Though I have caparisoned knights for a really late option because I like them!

Slavs (3Ax)
In 1071 at the battle of Manzikert, the Byzantines suffered a disastrous defeat at the hands of the Seljuk Turks. The Byzantines struggled to recover until Manuel I Komnenos (1143-1180) ascended the throne. 

The army camp: a Constantinople gatehouse.


A close-up of the camp.

During Manuel’s reign the Byzantines made significant , if short lived, steps in reversing their declining fortunes. I have used this period of the as the era for the army. 

For a more detailed look at the Byzantines under Manuel, see my article: here.



Featherstone Factor 51 - The Byzantines? Ka-ching! Ka-ching!

Donald says the Byzantines were organised, efficient and scientifically disciplined makers of war. They used clever strategies, tactics and logistics. Of course the wheels fell off after Manzikert. Pity the Komnenans were at the wobbly end of the line. 


What’s this Featherstone Factor all about?
Find out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment