Friday, January 8, 2021

Lusignan Cypriot Army DBA IV/26

If you like what you see, why not follow this blog?


You can download a PDF of the banners used in this army from Google Docs here:


Crusader Banner Download


The Lusignans of Cyprus are a morph of my Later Crusader army. They were a very successful Crusader state that lasted longer than all of the others. 


The Lusignan army


As is my won’t, I like to have a historical background for my armies and what follows is a rundown of the historical setting for the army. 


I’ve plumped for depicting the army of Cypriot King, Henri I (the Fat) d’Lusignan (1217-53) 


Henri I Lusignan



and John d’Ibelin, the Old Lord of Beirut (1179-1236),


John d’Ibelin - the Old Lord of Beirut



Together they were ultimately successful in their struggle against the imperialists who supported the Holy Roman Emperor Frederick II and his policies in Outremer, during the War of the Lombards 1228-43. 


This allowed me to use troops from Lord d’Ibelin’s troops from Beirut, Acre, Arsuf and Caesarea as well as some Knights Templar 



Guillaume de Sonnac - Templar Grand Master



and Genoese some crossbowmen. 


Genoese crossbowmen


All of which could easily double up for service in my later Crusader army. Henry may have been king but Balian was the powerbroker behind the crown. Henri was present at the decisive Battle of Agridi in 1232 but John was the Commander.


I was very happy to use the nice Alternative Army knight models I had which depict knights transitioning from the old Norman / First Crusade style knights to ones with horse caparisons and nearly enclosed helms.


All the Knights


In fact most of the army uses Alternative Army miniatures with a bunch of Metal magic spearmen and a couple of Museum and Irregular Miniatures added in. 


I’m very happy with how they turned out.


I’d love to hear your comments.


The rest of the army:


Starting with my favourite infantry element in this army the Arrierre-ban (vassal troops summoned in times of war):


The Arrierre-ban



The rest of the infantry:



Catalans - (4Ax)




Foot Sergeants - (Sp)




The crossbowmen - (4Cb)


Armenian Archers (3Bw)







The rest of the cavalry:

Turkoman Light Horse

 

Turkopoles - Light Horse

 

The baggage camps:

This first one is the 'Home' camp and represents a dock in Cyprus. I'm very pleased how the camp turned out.





This second one is a bit more generic and is for when the army gets to invade and be the attacker.







2 comments:

  1. Excellent work on this little known principality with beautiful figures and camps, your deck and 'ship' is excellent idea and end result. Carl, SoA member & DBA Fanaticus follower

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Carl! When I was casting around for Crusader information I was happily surprised to find out how important and long lasting the Lusignans were.

    ReplyDelete